18 December 2015

The Snowman Army

Listening to our family can be entertaining. Actually, listening in to any family or group of people who frequently reference gaming situations is amusing. To put it in perspective, I never really thought the Big Bang Theory truly represented just how stupid gamers can get. There were snippets, but reality can be much scarier.

Gaming can also evoke some crazy emotions in us. Somehow there was a glitch in Terraria’s update and Ellie lost her most experienced character. This was a year of investment. NPCs. Weapons, like mushroom spears. Godly hellfire. Ice rods. Pirate staff. Poison staff. REK 3000. Magick mirror. The list goes on.

You may be giggling, but trust me. It was not funny. Wretched heartbreak on an 8-year old’s face is never funny. Fortunately, Eric and I are gamers enough to cry with her.

This is how Ellie managed to accomplish the impossible … playing one of our characters. Well, I don’t play that stupid game because why would I mine and build when I could blow crap up, but Eric sharing his character and letting her adjust it? Impossible. But, it happened, and funny conversations like this get heard by our neighbors in the train car heading up to Auckland.

Elle: Daddy, can I have the snowglobe?

Eric: Absolutely not. Do not TOUCH the snowglobe.

Elle: OK, I’ll put it in your piggy bank so I don’t get tempted. Can I use your Queen Bee?

Eric: picks himself up off of floor. NO! Definitely not!

Elle: OK. Oh look! I got you an eggnog.

Eric: Thank you. Look if you stand still and you can use the yo yo around the corner.

Eric and Elle: frustrated mumbling back and forth

Me: You know, you guys sound completely crazy if anybody is listening. And what’s wrong with her using a stupid bee or snowglobe anyway.

Eric: Yeah? Do you know what the snowglobe does????

Me: rolls eyes

Eric: The snow globe is a one-off artifact that gives me an evil snow army.

Me: Holy shit. That’s awesome.

Moments pass.

Me: Can I have your snow globe?