07 December 2015

PENGUINS!!!!! (Wild ones. Not from the zoo.)

Seals coming up on the shores of Aran Islands off Ireland.
Puffins all over Iceland.
Bears sniffing out the finch seed in my garage.
Armadillos blocking me from driving across the car park in Florida.
Buffalo doing the shake down on Antelope Island in Salt Lake City.
Baby Roadrunner getting lost in and totally freaked out in the flat in Scottsdale.

Yes, all of these experiences have been really cool. But penguins are a totally different class. So when  Eric promised us wild penguins, Ellie and my excitement got a little abundant. 


This is when he noted that they are they same KIND of penguins we'd find in Antartica.

Marian
Not the same kind? They aren't black and white and super cute?

Eric
Well, ummm, no, I think they are brown....and pretty fluffy.

Marian and Ellie
BROWN???? FLUFFY????

Ellie
I think they are puffins and Daddy is confused.

Marian
PUFFINS? We know what PUFFINS look like in the wild. WE WANT PENGUINS!

Eric
Penguins are penguins. Turns out there are more than the few breeds that stand around Antarctica.

Marian
They sound suspiciously non-penguin so far.

Ellie
Daddy, do you need a picture of puffins? Are you sure they aren't puffins?

Eric
OH MY GOD! I was told they were penguins. I don't know!!! You can't hold me accountable to what somebody else told me. You'll have to see for yourself.

They were brown. They were also the smallest breed of penguin in existence at 33cm tall. While this was being judged harshly before we got there, all Eric had to do was stand there and point 

"oh look, a penguin" ....

...and we totally forgot about our issues that they weren't Emperor penguins standing on a glacier in Antartica, because they were penguins. FREAKING PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!