17 December 2015

Australian Wine

Whenever I travel to a new country, my tasting typically stays focused on the wine from that region. The original plan for Australia was to rent a car for the weekend and head into to Yarra Valley, but then, that just sounded tiring. After 4 weeks on the road in as many countries, I admit that the idea of driving did not entice me.

As such, we decided to investigate Australian wines from the quiet, walkable distance to wine bars.

I mentioned Punch Lane in the previous post for a tasting menu, but it was the wine tasting that originally got us in the door, and there I discovered that I had grossly misjudged Australia.

What do you think when you hear "Australia" in the same sentence of wine? Shiraz. Of course. Maybe we can even stretch to a syrah!!!

Neither reds are particularly my thing, although a syrah is palatable. White wine has become more and more of interest to me, with bubbles being the chief point of attention.  The reds in my world have moved strongly to the Spanish style wines, and I'm not referring to the fruit forward stuff of the young Tempranillos and Garnachas, but focused on the high tannic versions, such as aged Tempranillo, aged Garnacha, Monastrell (same as French Mourvedre), and Bobal.

However, good Pinot Noirs usually win me over any day of the week.

I digress.

Delamere Cuvee: blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from Tasmania*
Tellurian Fiano: locally grown Viognier, one of my favourite varietals
 Single Vineyard Pinot Noir: having almost went to the winery, we had to try it**


We limited ourselves to only three shared glasses per location in order to maximise tasting value, so off we went to The Wine Shop mere blocks away. As life is always an improvement with oysters and bubbly, we kicked this tasting off right.

Chandon Blanc de Blanc: Yarra Valley wins again! Maybe we should have driven out there....
Jamsheed Roussanne: hand picked and whole bunch pressed, this was a winner
Punt Road Pinot Noir: another Yarra Valley winery we would have visited


Bottom line, yes, I'll happily return to Australia to enjoy the bubbles and whites of Victoria***, and definitely will be returning to the New Zealand south island to ramble through vineyard after vineyard  after vineyard... it was a beautiful site.

*Tasmania is in reference to a little island off of Australia but still considered Australia. I thought at first it was only a monkey, then I thought maybe it was in Africa. Those were awkward conversations.

**If we had not decided to focus on Australian wines, I would have gotten the Saddleback Pinot Noir from NZ Central Otago region. Thank GOD we stuck to our plan as I got the joy of discovering at the winery Peregrine) the next week that the Saddleback line was created purely for it's lighter fruit forward approach to pair with food. We opted for the beautifully aged complex Pinot sold at the vineyard during our visit.


***I discovered that Victoria was the state where Melbourne was .... the taxi driver was not impressed when I asked if I was in a different state when I was in Sydney. I suddenly realised I was being one of "those" people when I have to explain that yes, New York City is in a STATE and is not a standalone country.