29 December 2015

The "Bad" Day

I find the broad interpretation of bad days often amusing. For example, I have a close friend who seems to attract "bad days" like flies to honey. For example, the conversation where the truck broke down, his dog is dying, and his dad had a stroke is not a particularly odd one.

Meanwhile, we have Eric, the guy who blinks and gets pretty much whatever he wants. 

"Oh, I was hoping that you could just randomly upgrade me, would you do that?"

"Yes, Mr. Willeke, we would love to do that!"

"Oh, I was hoping that you would randomly give me [pick anything], would you do that?"

"Yes, Mr. Willeke, we would love to do that!"

Somehow, he manages to give people the impression that it would make their day better if they served him. 

Then we have to address the insanity of his not getting how normal people experience life. Platinum Medallion on Delta, Platinum on United, Lifetime Platinum at Marriott, Emerald Club at National, international Global Entry, and automatic various airport club memberships.... don't get me wrong, watching Road Warriors work makes me realise how important those perks are to have a sane life. However, it makes for an annoying person on occasion when normal life is forgotten.

"Honey, you just need to let it go...." when I explain how I got treated like total crap in airport experience.

"It's just all in how you approach it. Be nice to THEM, and everything will be fine...." when I explain what an ass the customs person was.

So, enter Eric's "bad" day.

Setting: Auckland International, Virgin Australia check-in desk.

Scene: We have skipped all the plebian lines and been given fantastic seats. So far, so normal.

"So, can you direct me to the club?"

"Oh, I'm sorry sir, but you do not have club access."

"But....I'm Delta platinum medallion! I'm United platinum! Take your pick .... why wouldn't I get in the club?"

"It's just an odd glitch in our systems .....sorry about that.

It took Eric several minutes to recover from this, full of grumbling as I giggled my way to the shoppes. I mean, no free coffee, alcohol, or breakfast. He had to buy it!!!! Shhhhh....

So, we head through Passport Control. 

"Sir, that Express pass is for the Australian side; you are not qualified to go through our Express line."

Just for the record, there was literally nobody in the room. Like 4 people are in the plebeian line. That's it.

"No no! He gave me this express pass! I've always gone through the express lane!!

"No sir, please move along."

I watch Eric roll through the emotions that he felt would work best, and apparently the befuddled confused emotion was his choice. So, in a completely empty room at this point, where it matters NOT AT ALL which line we go through, he stands with an air of tearful confusion ....

"But I'm so confused....this doesn't make sense. This is very confusing."

"Sir, please move along."

So, we sit in gate area, without his club breakfast, and being turned away by a guard. 

Even better, the guard WAS wrong. 

Here is where I may have said sarcastically.....

"Honey, you just need to let it go...."