22 April 2003

Animal rights wacko-ism?
I am an animal lover to the core. Tree Frogs are among my top favourites, as I sponsor one at the Cincinnati Zoo. I have been discouraged by my wonderful, but in this case, cruel, husband from having a Tree Frog as a pet. Therefore, I have extended my home to a poor homeless rabbit that needs adopted. Bethany (was already named) is 6.5 pounds and a rabbit mutt (no particular breed, it seems). Although I had some concerns about Bethany living with Q (our cat), they become less when I realized that Bethany was not much smaller than the cat. Also, Q is being declawed next week, and is prohibited from the basement, where Bethany will reside. (Bethany's litter trained, so that's good - and YES, rabbits can be litter trained!)

However, I was a little perturbed of the process of bunny-adoption. Upon application completion, you have to go through a telephone interview, and then endure a house visit. Ummm...OK I guess. I can see that a facility would want to make sure that the home was suitable for the rabbit, I think. I'm starting to think they're a little obsessive though. However, I was informed that follow-up visits would occur, to make sure that the rabbit was adapting well to the new environment. OK, that's nuts! It's a rabbit for god's sake, NOT a human baby!

Now watch...the adoption counselor's going to read my blog and not let me adopt Bethany...*yeesh*