10 November 2003

Cooler things to talk about...
Now that rant below is out of my system, I can talk with happiness about a really cool acrobatic trick I learned last week. If you read my Tae Kwon Do blog, you know that I teach Tae Kwon Do in the daytime to the Jireh Academy kids. While I help them with their studies and teach them Tae Kwon Do, they have taught me a lot also, mostly patience. Anyway, during one lunch break, Paul Canada, the director and lead acrobatic instructor was letting them practice their flips on the trampoline. Then he let Karen, the educational instructor do it, with the aid of a little belt thing around her waist, so he could help her gain height for a good backflip, and control the backflip. After she was done, he looked at me. I was so excited to try it, but terrified too because I hate heights. Flipping (backwards or forwards) in mid air was not my cup of tea, but then I always want to try anything once, except bungee jumping.

So...I stepped on the trampoline and he taught me how to jump and gain the most height. That was not a pleasant experience, but I really wanted to backflip. When I got the hang of the the arm movements, he put me into the waist thing. It took three attempts to the backflip before I realised how hard I had yank my knees up to my ears for my body to natural flip backwards, but when it finally happened it was the most exhilerating experience!! My students were there, all trying to teach me and encourage me, so I had to be cool when it was over and just step out, but I actually really wanted to faint. I couldn't believe I did it...