28 January 2004

Seriously Motivated
I have always loved nature. Although I'm a city girl, through and through, and I have to have my regular injections of Burberry and Coach, I have always wanted to complete a major undertaking regarding physical stanima and nature. Tae Kwon Do has been a huge motivating factor in my physical ability, but not something that quite "completed" me. However, I have discovered my challange to complete. I am so motivated for this! I want to walk the Appalachian Trail straight through. How cool is that? I realise how much I have to do in order to successfully complete this goal: health, good shape, increase physical stamina a ton, and become a lot more educated about hiking and camping. The concept of completing the trail straight through has only excited me about getting to the physical ability to accomplish it. My problem, it seems, is selling this to my husband. I thought he'd be all for it, but seems nervous about it.

Marian: Eric! I know what accomplishment I really want to do...something that helps complete who I am.

Eric: Wow. What is that?

Marian: Walk the Appalacian Trail straight through.

Eric: That's like 2000 miles. How long does it take?

Marian: That's the challenge (referring to the 2000 miles); it averages 6 months to complete.

Eric: Ummmmm, that's a really long time, and a lot of walking.

No kidding. I remain excited though, and I know he'll enjoy it once we are physically ready to take it on. I'll keep you posted on the training :)