14 January 2005

Stress...More Stress...Crash

Stress
A year long incident started out very simply. I earned an A in a class that ended in Feb 04, and the prof miscalculated, giving me a A-. I tried contacting the prof...no response. I contacted the advisor, and did the complaint procedures she requested. Many months go by, and no change to my grade. Another advisor comes on board. I explain the situation and go through the entire ordeal again. Nothing. A freakin' third advisor comes on board. He actually does something. By this time (8 months later) the prof has been contacted and she requested a grade change. Please note that I did everything in my power to get it changed as of two weeks of getting the grade.

More Stress
I'm truckin' along. Finished my last class. Just have the capstone/thesis session left. I have a 4.0, except for the A- that was incorrectly posted. I ring the advisor. He said that he just got word from the grade grievance board that my request was denied because they did not get the complaint within six weeks. You can imagine my reaction. I was speechless at first. How could they make me take the fall for their own poor handling of the situation? Then I couldn't stop crying because I wanted to get a 4.0 for the degree in order for a better shot at a good doctrate programme. I was such an emotional basketcase I almost left roleplaying, but finally got it together. Anyway, I had over 20 emails of communication with these people trying to get it fixed over a time period of nearly a year. The advisor asked me to forward the response from the first advisor, which was two weeks after the grade incident, and he'd forward it on to the academic affairs office. I certainly did...along with a timeline of the incidents, my complaint of the unfairness, and a promise of legal interference if it became necessary.

Crash
You know how stress can build and build, and then when it's over, you just crash emotionally? This has been a year long building, then a huge spike, so you can imagine my collapse of relief when I received an email this morning (less than 8 hours turnaround!) from my advisor forwarding me the approval override from the academic affairs office. Hopefully the transcript will be changed by next week. After that mess, I have been nothing but a zombie all day. Thankfully, I can wile my stress away tonight at the hockey game and tomorrow by gaming all day :)