01 June 2004

Our Famous Trek
Many of you know of my aspirations to be a rugged hiker, so I was quite thrilled to spend four days mountain hiking in the Lake District with Noelle. While the natives did not have much confidence in our abilities to get around on foot, we were quite sure of ourselves. We bused to Windemere to check out the Beatrix Potter Exhibitions. We were both quite interested because we were both raised on Potter stories (Peter Rabbit, Miss Tiggy Winkle, Mr. Jeremy Fisher, etc.) and have high hopes for baby nursery's soon. Of course we wanted to ferry across Lake Windemere, but there were no buses and it was later in the afternoon anyway. We decided that we were properly suited up for hiking (good walking shoes, comfy clothes and backpacks with the appropriate rations), so we headed off on our eight mile trek. That would have been fine, but a bloody mountain got into the way! Her Air Force chants helped us. We finally hit the peak and got to enjoy a lovely view...(I think Noelle was slipping into some kind of meditation :))

I'll save the horrible hiking experience that would have had me sitting down on a rock in tears, but I didn't want my Burberry jeans to get dusty and there was too much sheep poop anyway. As you can see, that one was disasterous, and never started out as a hike.